FBackup

Post your techical queries on any product in our range of AntiVirus, AntiSpam, Content Security and Firewall Solutions sold under the brand names of eScan, MailScan, eConceal and X-Spam here. Your queries will be responded to by our expert technical team directly.

Moderators: Divesh, Gurdip Singh

FBackup

Postby wabenzi » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:30 pm

Hello room,
Concerning the FBackup, i have had so many reports concerning it. Most of my clients using eScan are recently complaining of their HHD getting full and upon my troubleshooting, i realize that the FBackup is the cause, until i deleted it before some space on HHD was recovered. Please see to this and rectify the FBackup. AT some case, i disabled it from the eScan Protection Centre and the windows registry, after some days,i realized that the FBackup folder is 2.68gig.
THERE ARE SOME FEW THINGS I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT THE FBackup
1. How does the FBackup works/Operates?
2. What are some of the files it backs-up?
3. Does it have a limit size of storage? If not, then please set it up, so when it get's to that level of MegaBytes it will not exceed, but rather deletes it and start a fresh backup. If yes, then where is it configured? and what is the default storage level?

Please see to the above kindly rectify it. thak you,
Ben. writes...
wabenzi

Postby vineeth » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:42 pm

Hello Ben,

FBackUp is a folder created by eScan, which is used to take auto-backup of clean files having extensions *.EXE, *.DLL,*.SCR, *.OCX, *.SYS, *.DRV, and *.CPL after scanning, these files are stored in an encrypted format.
In case of a genuine file being infected by a virus, the eScan monitor will automatically replace the clean file from the FBackup folder.

The eScan Auto-backup will first check for the minimum available space limit defined for a hard disk drive. If the minimum define space is available then only the Auto-backup will function, if not it will stop without notifying.
With an updated eScan hotfix, the settings for the FBackup can be changed from the 'File Anti virus' option.
i.e. Open the eScan Protection Centre, go to its settings>>options.
Here you can change the settings for FBackup i.e. enable/disable the feature , set the space limit for the hard disk drive etc.

In case you are using an older version of eScan and the FBackup option is not shown,kindly download and install the eScan hotfix from the below link
www.escanav.com/hotfix/

With regards,
Vineeth K.
eScan
vineeth

Return to Technical Support