AVPMAPP.exe running 99% CPU with patch 493

Post your techical queries on any product in our range of AntiVirus, AntiSpam, Content Security and Firewall Solutions sold under the brand names of eScan, MailScan, eConceal and X-Spam here. Your queries will be responded to by our expert technical team directly.

Moderators: Divesh, Gurdip Singh

AVPMAPP.exe running 99% CPU with patch 493

Postby jasonhing » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:09 am

I'm still having the same issue with AVPMAPP.exe using all the CPU cycles, even after patching to version 493. Now it is happening to my Windows XP machines. Attached is a remote access to my Windows XP machine. It's taking up so much CPU cycle that my remote access does not have enough cpu cycles to refresh the screen.

Edited: I managed to get a better screenshot second time around. It shows the version number too.

Regards,
Jason Hing
jasonhing

Postby mougur » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:49 am

I am having the same problem. (Me and some of my customers)

I have a notebook running Vista Business Edition. 3 GB of RAM and 320 GB of HDD.

All updates are done, either for Windows, MS-Office (2007) and eScan.

Hope someone can develop a solution !
Ozgur UGUR
Data Yazilim Ltd.
Izmir - Turkiye
mougur

Postby jasonhing » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:10 pm

Is there any function that I can disable to prevent the AVPMAPP.exe from running so that my user's will stop complaining. I've got a 300 user license and you can imagine the amount of complaining done by them.
Regards,
Jason Hing
jasonhing

Postby tarique » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:24 pm

right click on eScan red icon on task bar select option open protection center >>> Proctection >>> File anti-Virus >>> Setting >>> Select tab button of Options >>> increase the Limit file size 1024 to 2048 >>> apply >>> Ok
and restart the system and check.

Last edited by tarique on Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
tarique

Postby jasonhing » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:44 am

I'm trying this as I'm typing this reply. Thank you.
Regards,
Jason Hing
jasonhing

Postby mougur » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:39 am

"right click on eScan red icon on task bar select option open protection center >>> Proctection >>> File anti-Virus >>> Setting >>> Select tab button of Options >>> increase the Limit file size 1024 to 2048 >>> apply >>> Ok
and restart the system and check. "

Nothing changes. Problem continues !!!
Ozgur UGUR
Data Yazilim Ltd.
Izmir - Turkiye
mougur

Postby ccsoftware » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:05 am

Could you please check to see when the last windows update was done on the system? If recent, which ones?

Much appreciated!

Joan
ccsoftware

escan iss vers 10.0.968.374 (DB) has avpmapp running at 99%

Postby billke » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:06 am

My Escan ISS vers 10.0.968.374 (DB) also has avpmapp running at 99%
So its not related to 466 or 493 patch

The Windows XP box is so slow I cannot even "right click on eScan red icon on task bar select option open protection center >> ...."

I cant kill avpmapp from Task Manager - it fails with Access Denied.
Bill - South Africa
billke

Postby jasonhing » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:06 am

mougur wrote:"right click on eScan red icon on task bar select option open protection center >>> Proctection >>> File anti-Virus >>> Setting >>> Select tab button of Options >>> increase the Limit file size 1024 to 2048 >>> apply >>> Ok
and restart the system and check. "

Nothing changes. Problem continues !!!

Agreed. Problem continues. Now my 7 servers cannot go more than 2-3 days without a restart once the AVPMAPP.EXE goes to berserk. I have 200 users complaining of this problem (and I still have another 100 users to deploy). ON average, 1 PC will experience this problem at least once a week. Those with high HDD activity will experience this once every day.
Regards,
Jason Hing
jasonhing

Postby jasonhing » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:07 am

ccsoftware wrote:Could you please check to see when the last windows update was done on the system? If recent, which ones?

Much appreciated!

Joan

All of them. Windows are up to date, meaning if I were to click on check updates, there will be 0 critical updates remaining. Service packs are all up to the latest for all servers and Windows XP/Vista.
Regards,
Jason Hing
jasonhing

Re: escan iss vers 10.0.968.374 (DB) has avpmapp running at

Postby jasonhing » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:28 am

billke wrote:My Escan ISS vers 10.0.968.374 (DB) also has avpmapp running at 99%
So its not related to 466 or 493 patch

The Windows XP box is so slow I cannot even "right click on eScan red icon on task bar select option open protection center >> ...."

I cant kill avpmapp from Task Manager - it fails with Access Denied.

I'm now resorting to disabling the File Anti Virus to see if this reduces the avpmapp.exe. This turns eScan into a very expensive antivirus without real-time protection.
Regards,
Jason Hing
jasonhing

Postby Varghese » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:28 pm

Please reboot the machines having problems with avpmapp.exe utilizing high CPU after taking todays (12th Aug 09) updates.

Check and post here if you face the problem again.
Varghese

Postby Varghese » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:54 pm

Please reboot the machines having problems with avpmapp.exe utilizing high CPU after taking todays (12th Aug 09) updates.

Check and post here if you face the problem again.
Varghese

Postby jasonhing » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:43 am

It is still not working. In fact it became worse. I came back to work this morning with 5 out of 7 servers no longer responds to any command. FUrthermore, when the avpmapp.exe issue comes up, the Task Manager no longer responds and cannot be opened. This happens in my Windows Server 2000, 2003 and my own Vista. I used to be able to open the task manager but now I cannot. The Task Manager option is still there but when I click on it, nothing happens.

For vista, it disables the login screen if I were to press CTRL-ALT-DEL to start the task manager (right click on the task bar for task manager does not work either). I'm trying to get the photo out from my phone as that was the only way I could get a screen shot.
Regards,
Jason Hing
jasonhing

Postby jasonhing » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:10 am

I've found a new problem with Vista since last week. Everytime the system hangs due to avpmapp.exe using up all the resources, my Task Manager no longer works. I can right-click on the task bar and select Task Manager and nothing happens.

If I try to use CTRL-ALT-DEL to start the Task Manager on the Vista, this screen appears.

Regards,
Jason Hing
jasonhing

Next

Return to Technical Support